Why Would A Marriage-Based Green Card Get Denied?

Even if your marriage green card application is straightforward and free of errors, the high probability of getting rejected can make one anxious. You may be unable to sleep at night thinking about what will happen if your green card application gets denied. 

Before you get more worried, remember that US immigration has the goal as you: bringing you and your spouse together. Marriage-based green cards have a high approval rate, but that does not mean they do not ever get denied. If you have any questions regarding the procedure, consult with a Dallas green card attorney today. 

Reasons a marriage-based green card can get denied

  1. You do not have a real marriage. 

One of the most important components of getting a marriage-based green card is legalizing your marriage in your country and having an authentic marriage. Because your marital relationship is the foundation of the green card, it is a crucial component. To prove that you have a legalized marriage, you need to show your marriage certificate. 

The second part is proving that your marriage was authentic, as in you did not solely get married for the purpose of getting a green card. For this, you may need to provide evidence of your life together, such as photos from trips, birth certificates of children, etc. 

  1. You carry a dangerous disease. 

When you apply for a green card, you are required to show that you do not pose harm to US citizens in terms of health, security, finances, criminal grounds, etc. For the health part, you will need to prove that you do not carry a dangerous infectious disease, and if you do, you have got all the necessary vaccinations. Currently, the list of diseases includes mumps, measles, rubella, and more. If your medical report shows harmful behavior, your application will be rejected. 

  1. You submitted incorrect forms. 

Applying for a green card in Dallas is anything but a simple and straightforward process. There are different types of forms, and you need to choose and fill out the correct one. For example, if you want to move to the US to live with your spouse, you cannot submit an employment form. 

The form you are required to submit depends on certain factors, such as your spouse’s current immigration status, current residence, desire to temporary travel, etc. 

  1. You submitted documents without translating them. 

The US does not have an official language, but the most spoken one is English. Therefore, you need to make sure they are translated into English when you submit documents. You cannot expect US immigration employees to sit and translate your documents. They will simply reject your claim, causing a delay in the process.